Thursday, February 26, 2009

Forbidden Candy

By Robin

Does this look like candy to you?


Okay. I guess it does look a little like a mint chocolate bon bon. I hide this little wrapper deep in my purse in a zippered pocket. Does it still look like candy?

I was driving the 12 year old neighborhood gang around to various YMCA's Target's, and Lowe's (don't ask) and on a fairly sharp turn (I hope none of the gang mom's are reading) my purse slid across the floor and this pretty package popped out.

Ike grabbed the "candy" and yelled, "CANDY"! waving it around for all to see. I nearly drove straight across the roundabout trying grab it from him and yelling back, "THAT'S NOT CANDY!" Now, apparently I have fibbed about candy before because Ike didn't believe me. He started begging for the "candy" - mostly to show the other boys how well he could work his mom.

I was not about to have Sex-Education with Mrs. Smith in the 1999 Volvo for four 6th grade boys. The school has a filmstrip for that. I used my don't-mess-with-me voice and said, "Put_that_down." The car fell silent. I meant business and they knew it.


I ended up buying everyone a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup at Target.


I guess the temptation was too strong to resist. Today I found the "candy" open in my purse.

13 comments:

Emily said...

Ha! This is such a funny story. It makes me laugh so hard...the determination and knowing that there was just something chocolatey and minty in that package. What a surprise!

Yummy.

SeƱora H-B said...

On more than one occasion that same tiny package has been mistaken for a candy or treat in my house. Once by a blog reader (when showing the contents of my backpack or something) and once by my dog. They do look like some kind of tasty morsel...

Kristen said...

Mmmmm... candy...

I think this is so funny. Thanks for sharing!

mandbrid said...

Hilarious! I needed a good laugh this morning...

Cumorah said...

So the big question is, did you track him down and give him a great big lecture about how a woman's body works, and finish it with, "Well, you asked for it!?" I'm pretty sure that would cure him from EVER attempting to sneak candy again!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm chuckling over this post.... But that wrapper is very candy-ish looking.. haha

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Sally said...

This is such a funny story!

Poor Ike. What a disappointment.

Lisa said...

Karli LOVES playing with the "candy" in my diaper bag! I must agree that your green candy looks way more appealing than my pink candy.

Salt H2O said...

This reminds me of when I was 6 and Kyle & I got into my dad's stuff. We opened these little wrappers to play with the funny toys inside.

My dad caught us and was irrate, but when we asked him what the toys were he wouldn't answer us.

The mystery was solved when in my 7th grade sex ed class I was shown a condom.

R A C H A E L said...

Hands down, my favorite post to date. From the first time I read it. Makes me laugh out loud, and brings back memories of when I was 12, just started being a 'woman', and discovering my younger brother Cody dropping them in the toilet to watch them 'blow up', as he said... What is it about a tampon that is so facinating?

Anonymous said...

I'm sure if this had happened in Boise Cam would have been w/ Ike both demanding the candy and sneaking to try and eat it...though I am afraid Cam would have been able to EXPLAIN what it was after it was opened...this all due to...toooo many sisters! That bit of eaves dropping would have been the basis of your next halariouly funny blog!??
Hope you are recovering okay!
Luv,
Suz

Becka said...

hahahaha I actually thought it WAS candy... cute wrapping.. hahaha
I needed that laugh.. thanks Robin. Poor Ike

Jake said...

My kids are DYING to try those cool candy machines in all the ladies' public restrooms, too!