Monday, October 27, 2008

Banana Cream Pie

By Emily


We love this recipe because it came from our cute brother-in-law who used to make this in his college bachelor days. It is delicious, basic, and so simple. Kids can help poke holes in the pie crust before baking, and line the baked pie crust with the sliced bananas. Good in the winter, good in the summer--it is always a family favorite!





Banana Cream Pie

Prep: 25 min. Makes: a pie

2 T butter
2 C milk
1/4 t salt
3/4 C sugar
1/3 C all purpose flour
1 t vanilla extract
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 pie crust, baked
2 bananas
whipped cream topping

1. Bake a pie crust (for ease, I prefer the pre-made rolled pie crust dough, put into my own glass pie dish).
2. Lightly beat egg yolks in a bowl.
3. In a pot on medium high heat, mix: butter, milk, salt, flour, and sugar. Bring to a boil and stir for about 2 minutes.
4. Turning heat down for just a moment, take a little of the mixture out and add to the beaten egg yolks, stirring well.
5. Add egg yolk mixture back into the pot, stirring well, add vanilla. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 more minutes.

6. Cover pie crust with sliced bananas, and fill with pudding mixture to top.
7. Cool and let set in refrigerator. Top with whipped cream topping before serving (I prefer to make a basic whipped cream from scratch).

12 comments:

Robin said...

This pie was delicious! The only tricky part was stirring the eggs into the hot milk part.

Sally said...

I hope you will make this for me when you are here in December! It looks SO yummy.

Sally said...

P.S., I am making a pie today from a real pumpkin. Have you ever done that? I'm excited. If it's good, we can make another at Christmas.

Anonymous said...

This looks real good. I can't believe there is no food coloring! It is so yellow and yummy. I am going to make this on Monday.

GValleyGirl

Anonymous said...

Oh, this looks so yummy! I usually make my banana pie out of cooked banana pudding, sliced bananas, pillsbury crust and coolwhip. But this looks so good and doesn't seem like it would take any longer than cooking the pudding. I think you've inspired me to try it.

Thanks.

super said...

Delicious. Seriously, this looks so good.

And did you say your bro-in-law made this during his college bachelor days? No wonder he snagged a great wife! I didn't know any guys in college who cooked like this.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Alan saw this and wants me to make it for him. He has spent the entire day making almost 20 quarts of chili for the church Halloween Chili Contest and Trunk or Treat.

Linda Austin Hart said...

continued from above....He just came into my office with red- rimmed eyes, tears running down his cheeks, and sniffling.... from chopping at least a quart of onions.
My! does my house smell good!

Melissa said...

This is healthy right? Fruit is healthy.

Looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks really really good and the directions aren't too complicated. I might try this!

--LuLu

Kristen said...

This looks delicious. I will never make it though, because it involves real cooking. But I will come to your house to eat it.

Klisa said...

Thanks for reminding me of this yummy recipe! I am now going to make it tomorrow. :)