
It's ridiculous I know. I'm too old to stay up so late, but I have had a girl friend in town and she needed a place to stay with her son; her husband couldn't make it and she didn't want to spring for the hotel. My sweet son, Austin, gave up his room for her so she could sleep in his bed (which is the most comfortable bed in the house - truly; sometimes I sneak in and take a nap on his bed). It was a waste however, as we didn't go to bed hardly at all. Thursday night we stayed up till 3:15, Friday night we were up till 3:45, and Saturday...till 5:20. I slept for about 2 hours last night.
It brings back memories of staying up when I had friends sleep over as a teenager. We would "sleep" on the trampoline (which is a heck of a lot less comfortable than I remember), and talk all night. We had a little transistor style radio we'd listen to, and around 1 am we'd walk around the neighborhood, just scoping things out. Sometimes we'd t.p. someone, most times we'd just walk around and talk, hoping to glimpse some hunky guy.
I'm such a hypocrite though, because I won't let my kids do this. I'm so mean, I don't even let them have sleep-overs. The world has changed and I just don't feel safe about that. Instead we do "late-nights" when they can have friends over quite late, or stay at their friends houses pretty late. Because they haven't had the other, they don't really seem to mind at all. Besides, who wants to wake up on the floor of your friend's living room with their little brothers staring at you? "Not I", said the tired lady, who needs a nap.
9 comments:
What I miss is the college roommate years. All that time to invest in friendships--I don't think you ever have an opportunity like that again. Staying up late to talk and goof off is a unique pleasure! When you have a job, or kids, the price is pretty high, but sometimes still worth it.
The last time I had a sleep over with girl friends probably was in college!
GValley Girl
Don't your kids feel left out by not being able to go to a sleep-over party? I like the idea, but I think it would be hard because I like all my kids friends and they are good kids. I do, however, think that it would be good for them to sleep in their own beds and I wouldn't have to worry about some creepy relative doing something, or the kids getting into trouble. Not to mention the grouchiness that goes along with sleepovers.
I like it in theory, but how did you do it for real? I mean, do you have exceptions and stuff? I'm rambling, I know.
Oh, and I totally would stay up all night if I had a best friend or sister in town, but most of my friends and sisters are early risers and wont't stay up late with me.
Okay, I'll stop now.
Heck Yes about the late nights instead of sleepovers. I think a lot of parents do this nowadays.
We have late nights all the time. But the best late night is New Year's Eve, the kids look forward to it so much. They can stay up as late as they want.
Late nights: GREAT IDEA!! But HOW late do these last, & are they supervised?
Girls night out! All night long- I love it. I always felt sorry for the mom's of the sleepover- especially when I was invited. It was always my goal to stay up the whole night. The one party though I remember not feeling so well at 2 am (gee, I wonder why- junk food, no sleep, hmmm...) so we woke up teh girls mom to tell her. Poor Mrs. Isaac.
I find the people most excited about sleep overs are the moms. Why is this? Do they just want a night off? LOL.
I had an experience with pulling an all nighter this summer. My partner in crime was a former dance student of mine, who had recently entered the world of adulthood (aka - much younger than me.) Anyway, we had a great time, but honestly when did I become so old? I could hardly do it! It made me rethink the whole concept of sleeping over. What was the draw again? Aaahhh - the long lost days of youth!
My mothers rule for sleep overs was that we couldn't act the following day any different than if we had been home in bed the night before. It was hard, but I'm sure it saved her from many an ornery moody Saturday.
--LuLu
Post a Comment