Monday, October 27, 2008

HELP! Santa Clause is Coming to Town!

By Robin

I know, Christmas is 10 whole weeks away, why get worked up now? Because, (panic in voice) Christmas is only 10 weeks away!

There are a few people I love to death but don't know what to get for them! Help!?
  • Sister-in-law who has everything
  • Teenage nephew that I don't know very well
  • Father-in-law who asks for no presents- but needs something to open!
  • Neighbors. I want to give them something besides cookies or fruitcake.
Any ideas?

Robin

BOSSY SAYS:

Sally
SIL: Nice handsoap, gloves, or cool scented candle.

Nephew: Gift certificates to taco bell or McDs?

FIL: gloves, or picture frame, sincere note of thanks.

Neighbors: Candles? Or really good chips and dip! I would love that if my neighbor gave me a bag of chips and homemade dip. It would get eaten so much faster than cookies


Emily
SIL: people like this sometimes should get a very simple gift (since they already having everything they want) like a Sudoku book, or some item you have "discovered" that you love (one year Joe's g-ma gave us each a micro-fiber hand-towel--she said she knew it seemed strange, but she just loved hers).

Teenage cousins: gift certificate all the way! (borders, fast food, etc.)

FIL:

Neighbors: I like Sally's idea. Chips and yummy homemade dip or fresh salsa, or maybe some bread from a fancy bakery.

12 comments:

Sally said...

Wow. That was good advice I gave.

I am giving magazine subscriptions to some people this year, it's great if they have a true hobby and you can get them a magazine on that hobby.

My preferred gift magazine subscription would be for Avoiding Housework Quarterly.

Sally said...

P.S. it's Santa Claus. Of course, the Santa clause is this: Santa is great, but if you are bad, he doesn't come.

Anonymous said...

What did you decide on, or have you decided yet? Those were good ideas. I think I might steal some of them.

super said...

Gift cards are the only way to go for men. Men are impossible to shop for! And then they get mad if you don't get them the right thing...but they themselves don't even know what the right thing is. My DH refuses to make a wishlist. Grrrr.

Linda Austin Hart said...

SIL: a small box of Godiva chocolates, or some other expensive product that can be consumed

TN: money. ok, that's not fun to give, but it's awesome to receive if you're a teen. CD with music mix you've burned for him.

FIL: I know one that really liked the cello recording on robinblogz post. Homemade fudge. Homemade carmels. Homemade Oatmeal cookies with raisins. An after shave moisturizing LOTION. Recordable CDs.

N: quart of chili that you made ahead, froze, and have heated up. Tin of homemade carmel corn (or some other flavor). 4" pot of tarragon, basil, or some other herb you either planted from seed or bought, accompanied with a recipe card, or list of medicinal uses for that herb. Jar of any fruit or juice you canned yourself. Jar of your FIL's honey.

Linda Austin Hart said...

Sally: "Avoiding Housework Quarterly" this is a great idea for a magazine that millions of women would buy. It would need to be thin enough & full of enough advertisements that it could be read in one or two sittings (in the bathroom)so it could be read & tossed in a hurry. Don't you always feel great when you've finished one of your magazines & can throw it away without guilt?And it wouldn't be cluttering up the coffee table the way other magazines have a way of doing.

Linda Austin Hart said...

and this idea for FIL: something his wwife would love to have.

Katrina said...

Gee, I remember when this really cool friend gave out cd's of their kids favorites Xmas songs ;)

Julie said...

My mom gives homemade caramel and homemade hot fudge and some ice cream or a ice cream scoop to her neighbors. Can I be your neighbor? You all have such good ideas!

Kimberly said...

Usually by now I know what I'm giving to almost everyone. In fact, by now I typically have made or purchased all my gifts. Not this year - I don't know what to give anyone and I'm starting to stress!

Anyway, here are my suggestions :-)

Nephew - movie gift certificates

Neighbors - loaf of bread or a poinsettia

Phoebe said...

Last year a neighbor gave the cutest Christmas nightlight. I never wuld have thought of it, but my kids loved it. This year I saw them at Costco in 3 packs. It ended up being around $3 apiece. Cheaper than baking , sometimes!

Emily said...

Awesome idea! My kids would love that.