Monday, October 26, 2009

Good Enough

by Emily

This fall I started school again full time, working on my Master's degree in Literature. I'm doing it for the money.

(read: sarcasm)

There is a lot to talk about here--a lot about the change of pace, and the weird feeling of living a double life. Mostly there is a lot to talk about my constant reflection and reevaluating the situation as it affects our family, most especially our children.

In a "letter" to my sisters on our private forum, I wrote the following:

"So, I'm having one of those weeks, day after day, where I keep thinking "Who am I kidding? I thought I could do this?" It is getting ROUGH.


This time of year is always hectic, and with school now--and all the church activities and services, I have a hard time not feeling a bit...resentful? Like, between Monday and Sunday, I don't have a single "free-day" to catch up on all the stuff that has slipped through the cracks--some of it pretty essential stuff. But then I ask: how I would change it? Would I want to be released from Primary (Primary is Sunday School for children ages 3-11), or quit school, or just never be home and always work super hard up on campus away from all distractions? And I realize I wouldn't change any of those things. I like being in the Primary, school has been really good for me, and most of all, my kids are the most important of all these things to me--and I want to be home with them as much as possible."

I have to get used to doing things so that they are "good enough," and that is new and hard for me.

Joe is doing even more household and parenting things than what he's already used to doing (which is to say, he's always been very active in those areas of our family life). Even so, the floor is often icky, and the clean laundry may not get folded before it is worn and needs washing again, and my 2 & 4 yr olds will keep on running in circles, laughing and whining. My hair might stick up kinda funny, and I'll probably choose the comfortable shoes over the cute ones. But let's be honest--was it much different before I started school? It's not as if I was ever a stellar housekeeper. I do make good food though--when I have time.

So here's my pat on my own back: we keep on making time for family dinner even if it is frozen Bertolli meals (I recommend the ones with shrimp). And if you're lucky you'll still be invited over to our house for that dinner, but the house may be less tidy than before, and the dessert might also come from the freezer (ice cream). And the Sunday School lessons will still be just as every bit delivered from the heart, but the handouts might not have pretty ribbon or glitter glue on them. And the homework gets done, and I'm reading faster everyday.

And still the best part of my day isn't nailing that class presentation or paper, but coming home to my family for our daily dinner, pajama, scripture/prayer, and bed routine. That, and stealing one last glimpse and kiss when my babies are fast asleep.

The replies I got from my Bossy Sisters let me know that 1) they believe in me, 2) they love me, 3) they've been there too (haven't we all?), and 4) they are good listeners.

Here is just a snippet:

"Let the little things go. If that doesn't work, let the mid-size things go. :) "
-Bossy Sister Melissa

"You have taken on a serious challenge and you are rising to meet the demands. You can do this! I think you will always be glad you did it."
-Bossy Sister Sally

"I understand completely. It is really hard but you can do hard things. I love you. Hang in there. You are amazing."
-Bossy Sister Robin


And finally, the one that made me laugh the most:

"Well, you took a pretty big bite. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to chew with your mouth open and a few little crumbs fall out."
-Bossy but Wise (and funny) Robin



Is there anything in your life that you're willing to admit to doing just "good enough"? What secret tricks of the trade can you share with me? (I need them!)

15 comments:

Melissa said...

First, awesome pictures. Just love that giraffe.

Emily, I think it is so important to learn when good enough is good enough. Good for you for figuring it out.

Phoebe said...

Wow-Grad school! So exciting.
I can't wait to read about what you discover on the road to "simplifying"! Because it really is different for everyone.

Queen Bee said...

I can't believe how much I miss you and your cute family! Can I bring you some dinner, and play with your kids sometime and teach sharing time for you!? I wish a could. On the other hand I am SO excited for you that you got to go back to school! And I'm sure the cute little ones won't remember frozen dinners...

"Keep on Truckin"
Love you guys!

And if you ever in the future need a really big long break far from home we like visitors! Hee hee

Anonymous said...

I wish my mouth were as big as that puppy dog... I could eat a lot of hamburgers at a time!

Oh, and you must do the schooling now! Otherwise you turn around and you are 55 and say, "well, where did my life to?"

Just do it!
Di

diane said...

Dinner Studios is my new favorite thing. It's one of those places where you can assemble dishes only get this, they do it for you and deliver. The meals are delicious. They even have desserts and side dishes.

You go girl.

Emily said...

Melissa, thanks for being one of the Bossy Sisters. I love you.

Phoebe,
It makes me so happy to see your presence on the blog! I love your profile, it is smart, funny, and cute. I remember having microwave dinners for game night at your house--I thought it was awesome, and forever after that felt very comfortable around you.

Queen Bee,
We miss you too! Roo is always talking about Mr. Baseball, and just said yesterday that she wanted to go to your house, "But mommy, it is a very long way, so I think we can't, right?"

Di, Thanks for the encouragement. Your cheer and humor always raise my spirits.

Diane, I've heard of these Dinner Studios type outfits. Awesome. Actual homemade food, just not from my own kitchen! Nothing like that exists in this small town. Thanks for cheering me on! ;-)

You all make me feel so good! (Warm fuzzies, cheesy "awe!") ;-)

Robin said...

Just "good enough" is like "better late than never!" It feels better to be on time, but I'm not going to miss the party because I am late.

I let the housekeeping slide when things are crazy - it will always be there waiting for me - so it can wait.

Jess said...

Way to go Emily! I had no idea you were going to school, and all that you have to get done in a day makes me tired just thinking about it. I have no fabulous advice to give, just a cheer, a virtual hug, and the reassurance that my house isn't clean either. But the kids and I (and their dad too) read together, say prayers, and have a good time, so just keep up what you're doing.

Sally said...

You truly *are* amazing.
--You take time to call grandma, which means so much to her, and to call me when walking home from classes and could be having precious alone-time instead.
--You are good at delegating.
--You are more than capable at multi-tasking.
--You are concientious and succeed in the tasks you undertake.
--You recognize and choose righteously when others' demands are more important than personal desires.
--You know how to choose a smile and soft words when you feel like screaming.
--You express your appreciation for and admiration of others with whom you interact.

Like most young mothers who are over-scheduled and over-achievers, and thus over-stressed, I'm fairly certain you are sleep deprived and neglect your *self*.
Here is what helps me, whether stressed out or depressed:
1. put on some perfume
2. chew a piece of gum
3. put on some music - either Vivaldi (when stressed, i.e. I just can't take it anymore), or something lively and upbeat, like Broadway show tunes, jazz standards, or Elton John (when I'm depressed, or need to get myself going).
4. put on a smile. Force yourself, and keep it on your face, even if you have to put a pencil between your teeth to keep it there. Remember: "act the way you want to be, and soon you'll be the way you act."

Emily said...

Sally, was that you posting, or mom posting under your name since she's at your house? Because I didn't know that you put a pencil between your teeth to smile, but that is totally a mom thing (and I love her for it).

Vivaldi, yes that would be you. Elton John...hmmm...maybe....

Using asterisks to emphasis a word=mom.
"Act the way you want to be, and soon you'll be the way you act." = mom.
put on perfume=could be you, probably mom.
gum=could be you, probably mom.
put on some music=could be any of us.

Sally said...

IT WAS MOM.

But I like her comment, so, ditto that.

Also: You are cute, super duper cute, and funny too, which makes up for letting the little things slide!

Lance and Becky said...

I am so so happy that I pulled up your post today. It was just what I needed to hear. I have been feeling the same way lately. I am in no way shape or form even close to as busy as you are.

Lance has been working 7 days a week and I broke 2 of my toes so I can barely walk...my house is a disaster! I have been feeling like such a failure! Not to mention that Wyatt is in the "Mommy hold me all the time or I will cry" phase so I have been feeling a little down. I don't feel busy enough to have my house in such disorder.

Thank you Emily and all the bossy sister!

DC Diva said...

Big undertaking! You go girl. You can totally do this. And you'll be happy you did.

Salt H2O said...

Emily,
It sounds like we're going through the same situation (except I do get paid :) Doing'good enough' is hard, really hard to get use to because there's a part inside that continues to say 'be excellent'- I don't have any advice, (except I did ask to be released from my calling, and it was hard to admit I couldn't do it all, I loved that calling)

It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Ryan and Jen Shoemaker said...

Hi Emily,

I loved this entry, because I feel this way practically every day of my working-mom life. Some days I'm a better mom, some days I'm a better employee, and some days I'm a better spouse/friend/sister/daughter/housekeeper/you-name-it.

Good luck with the end of the semester!