Thursday, June 4, 2009

Library!

School has been out for 1 week. Sibling rivalry is rampant, the cold cereal and everything resembling chips, candy, or white bread has disappeared (did they eat this much in school?), and we have been to the library two times already.In my hometown, Boise, the library is called the "Library!" the sign actually has an exclamation point. People scoffed at it when it first was named but those who use the library get the exclamation point. The Library! is exciting! It is full of fun things for your kids!You feel smart just driving there!It promises peace and quiet and a temporary break from rivalry! Or at least a quiet ride home from the Library! Its air conditioned! LIBRARY!!!!!

Here are a few tips for maximum Library! enjoyment and success:
  • Let your kids check out what they want. Ike has 4 Calvin and Hobbes books. Noah is on an Orson Scott Card jag.
  • Allow your kids to check out as many as they want.
  • Make your kids carry their own books (they won't check out as many).
  • Take advantage of summer reading programs and special events.
  • Teach your kids how to use the self-checkout. Sure, it takes more time, but why are you rushing home? To make more snacks, yell at the kids to turn off the TV, make lunch, tidy up the house, make another snack?
  • If you have teenagers start reading what they read and find recommendations (goodreads.com is nice). There are lots of trashy/creepy/depressing teen books. Preview what they read, work to find a list of books they might be interested in, books that make them feel good after reading them.
  • The great thing about the library is if you don't like a book, you can return it unread. No pressure to get your money's worth.
But my number one tip is:

Use the online catalog to order the books you want. You simply log on (you might need to set up a password and stuff but it is sooo worth the 5 minutes that takes) and type in the name of the book you are interested in, put a hold on the book, and a day or two later (unless you want the #1 book on the best seller's list this week) you waltz into the library (have them sent to the branch nearest your home) and pick up your books. I often pick up 6 or more books at a time: cookbooks, non-fiction, fiction, how to, DVD's, CD's - you name it. Then, because you are online- they will send you a little reminder email informing you that your book is due and you can renew it ON LINE! so cool! No more late fees!

What books are you reading this summer?

10 comments:

Robin said...

We are reading:

Hunger Games
One Hundred Years of Solitude
How Green Was My Valley
Rain of Gold (if I can find it)
The Book Thief
Gone with the Wind
Ahab's Wife

and a steady diet of Calvin and Hobbes and Far Side.

Robin said...

One more thing - I am in Colorado, but I can use a national library loan program to request a book in Podunkville, Idaho, and use the library there to check it out (as long as I return the book to that library system). So when I go to Podunkville I will have the books I want waiting for me! So cool!

diane said...

We have a long list of AP summer assignments.
The Book of Genesis
Exodus
Judges
I Samuel
John
I Corinthians
Revelations

I kind of love that our public HS is having them read the Bible.

Gods, Heroes and Men of Ancient Greece
Death of a Salesman
Hardball by Chris Matthews
The US Constitution

I will throw in a couple of chick lit brain candy books for myself.

Emily said...

"Teach your kids how to use the self-checkout. Sure, it takes more time, but why are you rushing home? To make more snacks, yell at the kids to turn off the TV, make lunch, tidy up the house, make another snack?"

Funny. ;-)

We've been reading Charolette's Web and Mary Poppins, both chapter books, with our little ones, and then having a family movie party afterwards. It is fun!

Anonymous said...

My daughter makes total use of their Library! with her children. Summer activities should always include the Library! not only because it's free, but because we should all know the feeling of flipping through the pages of a book instead of reading everything on a computer or Kindle screen. YES... go the the Library! everyone.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Sally said...

Library!

Library! Library! Library!

I love this post. I loved it the minute I laid eyes on it. I love the library almost as much as I love chocolate. The library is one of my happy places.

I have to second the online catalog. People: if you are not using it, you are MISSING OUT. You can even get books digitally. I have 3 movies, 4 CDs and a slew of books right now, and I just got an email this very morning from the library saying a few of my holds are now available. When was the last time you got an email that basically said "hey, drop by and we'll give you a bunch of stuff that you actually want. For free."

Sometimes I go to Blue Ridge Gal's blog and look at the music she has on it, then go put the artist's CDs on hold at the library. Thank you BRG for introducing me to good music!

Okay. Long comment, I know. But before I sign off I must share my recent library story. This Tuesday I went to my local library for the Toddler's storytime. But when we got there, it had been cancelled at the last minute, so everyone went to the children's section to pass some time. I have never heard a library SO NOISY. The librarians first tried to ignore it, then as the crying and running and shouting escalated, they started giving each other panicked looks, then one of them came over to scold some kids and the other went into hiding somewhere. It was funny.

Go now to the LIBRARY!

Melissa said...

We love the Library! I forget to use the whole internet-hold-books thing. But, it is a lifesaver when at the Library! with 5 kids, I don't have time to browse.

!

Kimberly said...

I love the ! part of Library! In fact, the new branch Library! opening soon on the corner of Ustick and Cole has a Library! sign too... I think I'll post a picture of it on my blog tomorrow so you can see it.

I need to be better at going to the Library! I've been spending too much money at Borders... Anyway, my current read is Run by Ann Patchett. It is the Freshman Read book at Boise State, so I think it should be good. I also plan on reading Bel Canto and Snow Falling on Cedars.

Linda Austin Hart said...

I love "the library!", especially since they opened a new branch at Collister & State St. (Boise, of course!)

whirligigdaisy said...

I was just in Boise and saw the Library! sign. I was instantly in love.