Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kissing Up to the Teacher

What are some easy, low-cost, low time intensive ways to kiss up to my kids' teachers? I know it's important to have a positive relationship with them, but I am maxed out with my life and don't have time to volunteer, chat after class, etc.
- Needing to compensate in California

Melissa Says:


I work at doing something tangible every month to thank the teachers in addition to the phone calls. September it is usually a nice red apple and some homemade caramel for dipping. October something chocolatey... November we write Thank you notes (which probably are more appreciated than all the goodies combined),  you get the idea. Here are a few of my favorite simple ideas, stolen from other bloggers of course. :) I like these because they are clever and cheap,     and this blogger  made cute printable tags.  The last thing I do is try to send in a batch of glue sticks or a few boxes of kleenex at random times.  It is amazing how quickly 20 pre-K kids can blow through 100 gluesticks!  ( I totally stock up in August--- like, I buy hundreds when they are cheap!) 


Sally Says:
I struggle with this too. Give lots of compliments. I email them a compliment when I see something I like (a particular assignment, or a comment from my child about class). I also sometimes email the principal to tell her how great the teacher is, how great the year is going--I'm pretty sure that email gets forwarded on to the teacher, or the principal mentions it. I guess I'm the email compliment mom.

Kristen Says:
I think a simple thank you card is about as good as it gets.  A message left on their voicemail telling them how much Suzy loved the field trip and how grateful you are for all their hard work is awesome too.  As a teacher, it seems you get a lot of communication when things aren't going so well and when there are complaints.  One other thing, make sure your child smells good.  Seriously, teeth should be brushed (at every age), and if they wet the bed, take the time for a proper bath or shower.  It is hard to kneel next to a child and answer their important questions when they stink of urine or bad breath.

Robin Says:
I like Sally's idea of emailing the principal - but I would forward a copy of the email to the teacher. If money isn't an issue I like giving Starbucks Gift Cards. You can give $5 for just one cup or $20 - depending on how much you are trying to ingratiate yourself.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so how do you do this when you really don't have anything positive to say to your child's disorganized, yelling, unproductive teacher? I volunteer in class once a week. And, I know it's still important for the teacher to like my daughter - so I've kept my mouth shut about lots of unprofessional things - but do I need to do more than just NOT complain to make sure she treats my child well when I'm not sitting in her classroom?

Robin said...

Anonymous - this is a difficult situation. If she is a yeller maybe she needs lozenges? Or an organizer?

If she really is as bad as that you should make an appointment with the principal and talk about it. Not in a tattle tail way - but in a concerned parental way.

Kristen said...

I would still let her know that you appreciate how much time and effort goes into teaching and that you recognize it isn't an easy job. You could then tell her the one or two things that your daughter likes best about school.

This way, you are in a roundabout way expressing appreciation without actually telling her she is amazing. And you are giving her the details of the things that are going great. Maybe she has great bulletin boards, maybe your daughter loves silent reading (because the teacher isn't yelling), maybe the way the chore chart or the lunch chart works is pretty good.

I also think if there are problems I would talk with her, and/or the principal, like Robin suggested.

Kerren said...

As for me, something simple (but hard to consistently do) is to make it a point to really read and keep track of messages from school to parents/kids. This help you and your child be prepared for what's happening. Sending children to school with their needs met at home (nutrition, rest, discipline established, support of school & teacher); these things really show your appreciation for the whole business of education. Teachers can tell. Make time for at least 20 minutes of reading daily. Invaluable! These things shouldn't be costly at all. Thanks!

Laura said...

Being married to a teacher turned principal, I've found that gift cards are always appreciated. Even $5 iTunes gift cards.