Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Too much Christmas music?

by Melissa

Maybe. I only say this because I'm beginning to analyze the songs too much. I mean really, if I had been Rudolph's mother, I would have told him that people who only like him once he becomes useful to them are not his true friends. And Frosty? kind of breaking some laws running here and there! (not to mention that whole "catch me if you can" thing. I do enough 2 year old chasing, lets not encourage it!)

I think my favorite, laugh out loud lyric comes from the song Here Comes Santa Claus.... I don't know who was singing it, but when I heard it last night on the radio I laughed hard. The original lyrics are lovely... but this guy added a few extra words here and there...

"Peace on Earth will come to men, if we just sorta follow the light..."

Sorta? Um, again the mom in me comes out. "My homework was sorta late." "I sorta cleaned my room" "I sorta have a job" "I sorta did something nice for someone" "I'm sorta out of money in my bank account".... Sorta just doesn't cut it around here.

I guess I need new Christmas music. I'm taking suggestions please!

6 comments:

Robin said...

Just as long as it isn't Drummer Boy I am fine. I can handle the 12 Days of Christmas if it is funny.

Kerren said...

The music . . . I've had some of the same thoughts lately! "Great minds, think alike, etc." The one that causes me to push the mute button is the one about "Last Christmas -- I gave you my heart! . . you tore it apart!" essentially, I never think about you any more, sure! I'm only singing this mornful song years later cause I don't care! Duh! I still love Roger Whittacher (sp) but my favorites now are instrumentals, especially harp, bells and chimes, guitar, or symphonic versions. Well, maybe children's voices . . . our kindergarten kids are READY for Friday's program for their parents, and it's pretty terrific. We LOVE "Christmas Makes Me Sing!" Check it our on You-tube. Wow! such a long comment . . . I get carried away, you know how I am!

Salt H2O said...

In Santa Clause is coming to town he sees you when you're sleeping and he knows when you're awake- dude creepy! Kind of like Edward.

Salt H2O said...

Who ever wrote the Christmas shoes should be dragged behind a team of wild horses and then beat with a stick.

Sally said...

Michael Buble's Christmas CD. It's short but it's good.

Linda Austin Hart said...

me too. to all of you. I'd like to strangle the composers of drummer boy & 12 days.
And while we're at it, doncha hate Christian music that sounds like a sappy lovesong or a jungle rap?