Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Favorite thing of the week


My favorite thing this week is when the weather gets cool and stormy in the middle of summer. I love it. It's a reminder of the importance of opposition in all things. (which was also the topic of this week's Sunday School lesson, it was a good one.)


Robin has a cabin in Idaho. It's a little glimpse of heaven to be there, and in the heat of the summer, there are frequently late-afternoon storms. They are dramatic and impressive and then they clear up. The only drawback is running all over the yard to pick up towels, cast-off clothing and shoes, before the rain starts to pour. But when you are sitting on the covered porch, looking out across the river at Charter Mountain, and the storm is showing off it's best moves, it's awesome.


Another related favorite thing is the smell of rain when it first hits the pavement. I guess technically it's probably the smell of the dust and the pavement, whatever it is, it takes me back to my childhood and I am grateful for it.


I hope you are all having a great summer!

11 comments:

davers said...

Aww man. I was enjoying having my goofy face plastered at the top of your blog.

Nice post, Sally. I love summer and how we get a chance to really enjoy the outdoors. That said, I'm really looking forward to things cooling off this fall.

Lance and Becky said...

I love the smell of rain when it hits the pavement too its the best. We miss you guys!

Melissa said...

Oh, I love storms too. We get a fair number of evening storms in the summer and when the rain pounds so hard you can't hardly see the house across the street- I love it! The smell too...

Opposition in all things eh? Maybe my kids heard the lesson I missed and wanted to remind me this week. :)

Anonymous said...

Such a great looking sky photo! Awe inspiring.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Laura said...

I hope you are all having a fantastic summer, too.

And Emily, I just got spammed by the self-appointed BYU Jerusalem 10 Year Reunion Committee and wanted to make sure that you and Joe got the same info. Here's the blog:

http://byujerusalemfall99.blogspot.com/

Paige said...

Sally, it rained a little while we were in Tahoe and I could not stop talking about how great it smelled to be walking along the pavement smelling it while everyone was running for cover. My kids had no idea what I was talking about so I kept saying, "Smell it! Smell it!" yeah, I was annoying. I don't know if they actually did smell it, but when they do someday maybe they'll think of me.

Lisa-Marie said...

We are having one of those storms right this very minute and I LOVE it.

I just hope our slip and slide doesn't blow away!!!

Emily said...

David wins comment of the week. ;-)

Robin said...

Sally, if you enjoy those afternoon storms you should move to Colorado! We have big thunderboomers about 50% of the summer evenings. They usually get started around 3:00 are are over by 6:00.

Oh, and when it is 85 degrees the radio stations warn us of heat stroke and the importance of staying well hydrated.

Tracy said...

DITTO on this post and...don't I get to see you this week???

Linda Austin Hart said...

Grandchildren. Definitely top the list of favorite things.